Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Psalm 2, "The Book of Psalms," 2007-

Why are the nations aroused,
and the peoples murmur vain things?
Kings of the earth take their stand,
and princes conspire together
against the LORD and against His anointed.
"Let us tear off their fetters,
let us fling away their bonds!"
He who dwells in the heavens will laugh,
the Master derides them.
Then will He speak to them in His wrath,
in His burning anger dismay them:
"And I- I appointed My king
on Zion, My holy mountain."
Let me tell all is due of the Lord.
He said to me: "You are My son/
I Myself did today beget you.
Ask of me, and I shall give nations as your estate,
and your holdings, the ends of the earth.
You will smash them with a rod of iron,
like a potter's jar you will dash them."
And now, O you kings, pay mind,
be chastened, you rulers of the earth.
Worship the LORD in fear,
and exult in trembling.
With purity be armed,
lest He rage and you be lost on the way.
For His wrath in a moment flares up.
Happy, all who shelter in Him.

Psalm 2, "The Bay Psalm Book," 1640-

Why rage the Heathen furiously?
muse vaine things people do;
Kings of the earth doe set themselves,
Princes consult also:
with one consent against the Lord,
and his anoynted one.
Let us asunder break their bands,
their cords bee from us throwne.
Who sits in heav'n shall laugh; the lord
will mock them; then will he
Speak to them in his ire, and wrath:
and vex them suddenlie.
But I annoynted have my King
upon my holy hill
of Zion: The established
counsell declare I will.
God spake to me, thou art my Son:
this day I thee begot.
Aske thou of me, and I will give
the Heaven for thy lot:
and of the earth thou shalt possesse
the utmost coasts abroad,
thou shalt them break as Potters sherds
and crush with yron rod.
And now yee Kings be wise, be learn'd
yee ludges of th'earth (Heare)
Serve yee the lord with reverence,
rejoyce in him with feare.
Kisse yee the Sonne, lest he be wroth,
and yee fall in the way,
when his wrath quickly burnes, oh bless'd are..."

I suppose, given that they were translated and published nearly 400 years apart, these two versions of Psalm 2 bear a pretty good resemblance to each other. But it certainly is interesting to see how the time of translation, with its prevailing cultural and educational norms, can influence the style or even content of a poem (a poem that was actually written many centuries previously).

For one thing, the style is completely different. While the more recent translation is written in what is seen as more classical "Biblical" language (for lack of a better word), the second is much more colloquial (particularly with lines like "yee ludges of th'earth" instead of "you rulers of the earth.") Words like "Heathen" instead of "nations" or "people" make the standpoint very clear- also in relation to the political or social opinions of those reading the little psalm book- that those who do not share their belief are heathens. The more recent translation is also more careful about the Hebrew poetic format. 

No comments:

Post a Comment