Thursday, May 14, 2009

week 7, post 2

This week, I had a very interesting and new blogging experience. Someone posted a comment on my previous blog (an admittedly not-particularly-inspired paragraph relating to the Kebra Nagast, and what it implies about Ethiopia's relationship to the Ark of the Covenant). The unexpected part of the whole thing was that it was not someone from this class... It was signed by "Patricia, Bible Prophecy on the Web." In response to my discussion of the class readings, Patricia wrote about her own beliefs about the Ark of the Covenant- she says it is at the "temple of God in heaven," and provides evidence from the scriptures.

This might be off topic a bit from the general intent of the blog (as a discussion of religion and class material) but this was a fascinating reminder to me about the nature of the internet. The internet really is a public forum- the things I write for this class really CAN be read by someone somewhere else in the world, and they can and will react to it. (For the record, this was a particularly humbling time for this realization to occur- I'm been extremely busy the past few weeks and am well aware that my last post was far from my best work. The idea of a stranger reading that and having that be all they know of me is both creepy and amusing. Though I suppose, even after looking at her blog, I don't have much idea of who Patricia is either).

The fact that the internet is such a public forum is really interesting in the context of religion as well. All range of perspectives- whether from a religious studies student discussing new concepts from an academic perspective, or someone arguing intensively for their deeply held beliefs- are out in the open. There is a huge potential for dialogue.

Looking at Patricia's blog, there's a lot of it I don't understand. Whether this is because of her interpretation or my lack of knowledge of the Bible is debatable. And unfortunately, she would most likely consider me a heathen, or even an anti-Christ... But I still think it's kinda cool that she posted on my blog :)

http://bibleprophecyontheweb.spaces.live.com/

5 comments:

  1. That is really cool! and eye opening... or maybe just a reminder of what making a blog really is... i guess I kind of forget that the whole world can see what I write too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, that's really funny! one think i think that's weird about blogs/facebook, etc. is how willing people to write things about themselves and about other people that they would never (i hope) actually say if they were face-to-face with the other person. what a funny world :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like we have 'the lawrence bubble' here between our class. Part of me wishes more people would post on our blogs though, instead of kids all around the same age who are getting a liberal-arts education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was really funny too.. and if you keep blogging and looking for other people who write about similar topics, then you will break out of the Lawrence bubble pretty quickly..

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, challenge accepted Emma. I'm posting from Australia & I'm neither young (except at heart), in education or Laurentian (if that is the adjective you use?). Want to get outside your comfort bubble on the Ark and Ethiopia? Take a look at the Facts & Interview pages on www.elecbk.com, then. Incidentally, did you use the Budge translation of the KN or which one?

    ReplyDelete